It being 2020 and all, I set new goals this year and one of them was to spend less. Overall, it’s going well, and one thing I can definitely cut down on is my beauty budget. Last year I spent more on beauty products than I typically would have because I got married and purchased a bunch of products I maybe wouldn’t always use on a daily basis. In fact, I’ve started wearing a little less makeup this year, which I really am enjoying. But it also naturally saves me money on makeup purchases.
That tidbit aside, here are my favorite drugstore buys for 2020. These are the items I’ve found to replace higher-priced items or those that I’ve used forever and refuse to change because they just work.
- Love beauty and planet hair spray – It’s made with coconut milk and jasmine and imparts this beautiful jasmine smell on your hair. Also, it does the job. I mean, if you’re looking to achieve ballroom dancer hair, this is not your spray. But if you’re looking for regular-day hairspray, this will do the job and it’s supposed to be good for the environment. And it’s inexpensive!
- CeraVe PM facial moisturizing lotion – I like the AM one too, but I love the night version. It feels so smooth on your skin, but true to what it says on the bottle, is ultra lightweight so it just feels nice on your skin, not heavy. I tend to breakout and that is a concern of mine, and this helps prevent that compared to heavier lotions and creams I’ve used.
- Humphrey’s Lilac Witch Hazel – This feels so luxurious but is available at Sprouts and other health-food grocery stores. I love swiping this on my skin and it smells really pretty. It gives my face an extra layer of clean and helps me know my makeup is off at the end of the day. And when I’m being super lazy, I swipe this on and take my makeup off and it usually does the job or at least makes me feel a little less lazy.
- Peppermint Coconut Body Scrub – The nicest body scrub I’ve found is a homemade version that I make with this recipe that Colleen from Grow Forage Cook Ferment posted. It feels so nice on my skin and leaves it a little moisturized, which is especially helpful if I’m running behind and don’t have time to swipe on lotion. It’s also super easy to make and really inexpensive, especially if you already have peppermint essential oil. I actually left out the fresh peppermint (sorry) because I didn’t have any, and it still felt amazing.
- Carmex Lip Balm – I still love Carmex Lip Balm in cherry or strawberry. I’ve yet to find a better one in 37 years of life. Come at me.
- NYX Butter Gloss – My friend Monica turned me on to this little gem that costs about $5. The color lasts a long time and it comes in a multitude of pretty shades. It’s so cheap I don’t mind trying new colors, and I like the texture, which is important in a lip gloss.
- NYX Born to Glow foundation and NYX Setting Spray – Speaking of NYX, I’ve gotten on board with a few of their items lately. I like their setting spray, and at about $9 it’s a steal. I’ve also started using the brand’s Born to Glow foundation, which covers nicely, lasts long and doesn’t seem to cause me breakouts. I also have their tinted moisturizer but haven’t gotten around to trying it yet. Both the foundation and tinted moisturizer cost about $10.
I hope this list helps if you’re looking for ways to trim your beauty budget, or just in need of a new drugstore beauty product recommendation. I love hearing about good beauty products, especially if I’m in the market for a new brand or item. And if it helps me save a little money, even better.