This week, I have an assignment for you: Find something – anything – that brings you joy or pleasure each day and indulge yourself deep in it.
Make every day different. Little moments can have a big impact.
June 20 is the summer solstice – the longest day of the year, the official start of summer, and the moment when the Sun is directly overhead the Tropic of Cancer. It’s also a traditional time to celebrate the more sensual side of life. Think joy, pleasure, and whatever rings your bell. This, in my mind, lends itself to being the perfect time for evaluating the joy in our lives.
Here are a few things that come to mind when I think of moments that bring me joy:
- Laughing with my husband
- Eating an ice cream cone, blissfully not caring about calories
- Dancing on the patio on a beautiful evening
- Feeling the grass under my toes while walking barefoot at the park
- Snuggling up with a good book on a rainy day
- Settling in to a nice jog
- That proud feeling after a job well done
- Giving freely of myself to someone who really needs me
- Listening to birds chirping
- Appreciating the stillness
- Sleeping on the beach
- Exploring new cities
So, this week, have fun. Enjoy.
Read that last bit again: Have fun. Enjoy. Life is too short to not have moments of pure joy sprinkled in among all the work. This challenge is simple and is meant to be – find a moment of joy in each day this week and notice how it all adds up at the end. Let’s celebrate summer solstice and ring it in with joy and pleasure.
I’d love to hear about the little things that bring you joy in the comments. You’ve heard mine, now share some of your own!