A couple weeks ago I listed eight drugstore beauty products that you should add to your arsenal. I stand by that list wholeheartedly, but sometimes you just need a little luxury, and that’s where these products, the antithesis of the drugstore shelf, come in.
In general, I’d say beauty is the main thing I usually have no problem splurging on. I mean, you only get one face, one body. I’m always up for a massage, facial or hair treatment. You get the idea. So, with that said, these are the products that, to me, are definitely worth the splurge.
- Bumble and Bumble Brilliantine – This little gold tube of goodness is just the right texture for my hair and gives it that extra something that’s always needed after a blowout. It helps tame flyaways and gives a bit of separation. I use it whether I’m wearing my hair curly or straight, and it really is the business.
- Bumble and Bumble Thickener dryspun spray – Since we’re on Bumble and Bumble, this spray is my favorite. I use a little at the crown and I love the way it smells. It helps a ton on days when I need something to help my hair look fuller and more luscious, and this has done the trick for years. I love this spray so much. I don’t use it all the time, but it makes me happy just looking at the bottle.
- Eminence Firm Skin Acai Booster Serum – I stumbled on to this serum on a Portland trip years ago and it never makes me break out or feels heavy. Instead, it feels refreshing and really helps with making my combination skin feel more moisturized and plump without feeling greasy or like it’s too much.
- Origins Clear Improvement face mask – I’ve used this since high school, so for more than 20 years. When I’m out of it, I see an almost instant uptick in breakouts and my skin just overall doesn’t look as good. This is a must-have for me. Try it if your skin needs a little clearing overall or a detox. You’ll be happy you did.
- Lancer The Method: Polish – This is true luxury. I used a sample of this at my former job and can’t get it out of my mind. This is going to be my March splurge as I’m out of a good exfoliator I loved and remembered this one for this article. This, to me, is the perfect exfoliator. I haven’t used one that feels better to me than this one by Lancer.
- Kiehl’s Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser – I love Kiehl’s products in general, but this face wash has been with me for 10 years. It was recommended to me by the woman who worked in the Kiehl’s store inside the Portland airport in 2010, and I haven’t looked back. I use other face washes on a regular basis, but I use this one a few times a week to help manage my skin. It’s perfect for my skin type and I like the texture. My face also feels super clean when I’m finished, which is something I quite enjoy.
- St. Tropez self-tanner – This is hands-down the best self-tanner out there. It’s hard to mess up with this formula, and you can be as light or dark as you need to match your natural skin tones. I like to just tone down the stark white of my skin tone with this, not look super tan, and it does that job nicely. If I’m going to a special event or need a little more coverage, I can build that with this brand too. It’s worth the price, especially if you factor in how much a spray tan costs.
- Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter – I love the way this feels on my skin. I had a decent size sample and was hooked. It feels different to me than other body butters. Rich, but not greasy and very luxurious. If you’re looking to invest in a really, really good moisturizer to treat yourself, this is it.
- MAC Pro Longwear Concealer – This is my secret makeup weapon. I didn’t even wear concealer before 2019, but then I met this product. It changed the entire way I do my makeup. I wear much less eye makeup now overall, and am happy most days to just wear this with a tinted moisturizer and mascara. This one concealer really changed my life. I know that sounds super dramatic, but it did. It also really works great as a highlighter when you’re going for that. And, this little container lasts forever. It’s super concentrated so you only need a tiny bit. My advice? Go to the MAC counter, get your proper shade, and be happy. Just make sure to keep your undereye area nicely moisturized.
- Urban Decay Perversion Mascara – Every year Sephora releases a collection of mascaras ahead of the holidays. It’s a mix of sample sizes and a couple full sizes, with a primer or two mixed in. It’s a great way to try new mascaras and see which ones fit your eyes the best. That’s how I found the Perversion Mascara, which is my favorite. It stands out above all the rest and never disappoints.
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner – I’ve used liquid eyeliner for about a year and a half now, and I’m never going back. I like this one by Kat Von D, because it lasts long, doesn’t stray from where it’s placed, and the brush retains its shape throughout the life of the product.
I love beauty products and have tried so many in my 37 years. These are the current splurges I feel are worth your time and money. If you have other suggestions, I’d love to hear them in the comments.