I’ve been taking myself too seriously lately. I can feel it with every ounce of my being, and I hate it.
I don’t know, it could be the global pandemic, or just the world in general, but my serious side hath taken over and I don’t like it. It’s my least favorite part of my personality, although it’s the part that pays the bills and sometimes can create evil genius in my world. But, it’s time to let my hair down and play more, while still staying true to my beliefs.
I can’t believe June is almost over. It’s one of my favorite months, because June just feels fun to me. You know what? Summer is here, and I’m ready.
With that in mind, here are 8 ways to play and find joy as an adult:
- Bust out your toys. No, not those toys, dirty minds. I mean the TOYS. Like soccer balls, basketballs, hula hoops. Don’t have any? Go get some! Balls are relatively cheap for the joy they bring, and you’ll be surprised at how much you’ll laugh when you’re kicking a ball around.
- Have an adventure. I had myself a little adventure on Memorial Day, and it did me a lot of good. Hubby didn’t want to go, so I set out by myself and explored Southern Utah. I had a chili dog, visited Quail Creek, and even drove up to Zion. It was lovely day and much needed.
- Be silly. Talk in funny voices. Make a prank phone call to a friend. Make a funny video. It’s fun and it’ll make you laugh.
- Dance. It doesn’t have to be good. Who’s watching? Just move that body of yours! I bet you’ll smile.
- Play a game. Pick your poison – board game, video game, Words with Friends – any of them will do the trick if you’re having fun.
- Get active. Ride a bike, swing, swim, skate. Any of those things you did as a kid? You’ll probably still enjoy them.
- Make something. Do you love to draw? Sing? Bake? Making something can be a lot of fun if you truly enjoy it. Don’t do it because you feel you have to, do it for the fun of it! Make something crazy!
- Phone a friend. Call your funny friends and laugh with them.